Toolstation Divisional Director Steve Gunner presents John Amico
with the keys to his new Ford Transit Custom.
I've worked as professional photographer since the early 1980s and get called upon for a wide variety of assignments, including grin & grip PR (Public Relations) where the gear needs to be reliable, lightweight in order that I can concentrate on the brief and get in and out in the shortest space of time with minimal disruption to the people involved.

In the short time available I need to maximise shots for client use, including checking content and thinking about images will crop for differing marketing channels - think square for Instagram etc.

Previously, I've favoured a Speedlite mounted on a bracket to the right of the camera as this keeps the weight low and favours the way I turn the camera when shooting portrait format images.

One way to mount a Speedlite for ease of use.

This set-up with a modifier such as a Rogue FlashBender works well but at approximately 80W/s lacks power to compete with bright sun, not that we see sun in January here in England!

Elinchrom ELB500 TTL head replaces a Speedlite for fast pace PR shoots.

Recently I decided to use my Elinchrom ELB500 TTL in place of the Speedlite - all I can say is that it was a wise move. The ELB500 TTL head is lighter (excluding cable) than a average Speedlite & modifier combination, give me constant 120º coverage, which is not always a advantage but the head can be feathered to prevent direct hard specular reflections, especially important when the job involves a vehicle. The battery pack was slung over my shoulder in a camera bag, which for me is not an issue as in the past I favoured Metz 45 & 60 series hammer head flash with separate battery packs and recently a Godox AD360 with separate battery pack.



During the shoot the weather turned fowl and decided to sleet heavily soaking all concerned including the gear.

Remember that good PR images increase the probability of your client gaining exposure over those who submit press release images shot by inexperienced camera owners with rudimentary gear.

We know gear doesn't create the images, but with the right gear it's easier for a experienced photographer to create images without *faffing with less well designed equipment. 



Elinchrom have done a great job with the ELB500 TTL head with a design to minimise the ingress of precipitation, replacing the multi-pin plug with a hard wired power lead.

When working outside on camera with the 14cm reflector I strongly recommend using the frosted cap to prevent water reaching the flash tube. Off camera when working with inclement weather I recommend using a modifier which offers protection to the flash tube, something like the 56cm Portalite Octa.


I think I'd be smiling if I'd just won a brand new Ford Transit Custom van.

£4,000 value of Dewalt power tools - I'm jealous!
* Faffing - I define as unproductive time with gear not practiced or familiar with!

That's it for now and don't forget if you really enjoy lighting to visit and join The LIGHT Side - a place to learn, be mentored, nurtured and learn about lighting, lighting and photography, whatever your level or experience.

Credits
Photography lighting equipment in association with















Comments

Popular Posts