Jamie's Headshot

Here's a quick head shot I did for my friend Jamie who acts on stage and in a load of corporate video productions. He needed a new and up to date head shot for his book and agent. Normally I would have shot this in the studio, but we couldn't move for hundreds of items of jewellery for a website catalogue. So I had no option but to shoot it outside and without any supplementary lighting.


If you click on the image you'll see a much larger version which gives you an idea of the quality that can be achieved with the Canon EOS 50D and a prime 50 mm f1.4 lens. Also, note the very shallow depth of field (DoF) - the tip of his nose and ears are out of focus with his eyes pin sharp. This shot was exposed hand-held at ISO 200, f2.8, 1/1600th sec. The main light source was daylight diffused by grey cloud with a big (6' x 3') California Sunbounce Pro silver reflector held below and in front of Jamie's chest.


On this day I was lucky enough to be helped by student on work experience who acted as my human interactive lighting stand. The trouble is, the wind got up and I had visions of her being blown away like a kite whilst still holding the Sun Bounce Pro. Would have made a great shot;-)

TTFN

Ian

Comments

Popular Posts