Daylight Product Photography with Manfrotto TriGrip and Skylite Rapid

During the summer of 2021 I was asked to photograph Brighton Gin's new range of RTD Ready To Drink pre-mixed cocktails. Along with the usual white background packshots I shot a series of outdoor images using daylight and flash.

On the day I decided to photograph this set-up clouds were moving across the sky creating an ever changing lighting scenario. I order to create consistency I decided to use a Pixapro CITI600 TTL/Godox AD600 with a deep 10 inch/25cm reflector as my undiffused key light. Shadows were filled with a Manfrotto (Lastolite) TriGrip difflector. The difflector is a clever design - a white diffusion fabric with soft gold metallic strips printed on one side - a 3-in-1 soft gold or white reflector and 2 stop diffuser.

The Manfrotto (Lastolite) Skylite Rapid 1.1x1.1 metre frame was fitted with a 0.75 stop scrim which provides minimum diffusion without the milky effect of a 2 stop scrim. This reduced the light on the background without blocking the shadows.

 
The pebbles on Brighton Beach needed to feature in some of the shots, but budget and convenience precluded me shooting on Brighton or Hove beach. The solution was simple, a bag of beach pebbles from the local builders merchant, bucket of water and jug.


The day I chose to photograph this presented clear sky and bright consistent sun light. The sun needed diffusion, but not too much, so I opted for an 0.75 stop scrim on a Manfrotto (Lastolite) SkyLite Rapid. When working outside I prefer the rigid frame of a decent scrim.
 


 
Once clamped securely to a c-stand and weighted down it takes a lot of wind to move them. Pop-up reflectors flex and blow around meaning inconsistency and wasted time. Fill was from the white side of my Trigrip soft gold difflector secured to a c-stand with a clamp I designed. I could have used a Super Clamp, but my device held the TriGrip more securely.

The camera was positioned overhead on my Manfrotto 755MF3 carbon fibre tripod (now discontinued) with MH804-3W pan/tilt head. The legs of the tripod were secured into the lawn with tent pegs and paracord. The camera was trigged via a remote cord in on hand and jugs of water artfully thrown to simlaute wave splash with the other.

Discloure

This post is not supported by any on the brands named herein. It is an illustration of my working practices and the gear I use.

Training

I offer one to one training for selected photographers, bespoke training for businesses who need to keep their photography in-house and establishing in-house studios with flash or low-energy LED continuous lighting.

Feel free to contact me to discuss your requirements.

Keep safe and remember your health is important in these strange times.

That's it for now and don't forget if you really enjoy lighting to visit and join The LIGHT Side - a place to learn, be mentored, nurtured and learn about lighting, lighting and photography, whatever your level or experience.



Comments

Popular Posts